Thursday, November 27, 2008

When Black Friday isn't so black

It is that time of year again. Bellies are full of turkey, the air is chilly, and bright and early one special day, millions of crazy women (mostly) wake up WAY too early and shop 'till they drop. Unfortunately, for the third time in a row, I am not one of those women. But I look to next year, when I promise you I will try to be out there.

It has become a tradition that my mom and I have to go out every Black Friday. We usually end up shopping more for ourselves than for others, but we still have fun. It began for us when I was a lot younger and we lived in Iowa. Those were the days when Black Friday was so appealing because stores actually had good deals and lots of give-aways. We continued the tradition in Arizona, and then in Missouri. When Aaron and I left home, my mom and I have still made it happen. Whether it was in San Jose, California where we dragged Aaron and my dad along, or in San Antonio, Texas where it was so foggy we couldn't tell where we were going. It obviously hasn't worked out for us since I have been in Korea, but that should change soon.

I think the thing that gets me every year, is watching in amazement at the people that rush into the stores RIGHT as soon as the employees open the doors, then stand in lines that wrap around the store. I've seen attitudes flair as people accuse others of cutting in line, or just get mad that the line is taking longer to check out than they would like. HELLO, it is Black Friday, if you get in a long line, it is probably going to be a long line for awhile!!

My mom and I would usually go to the stores that most enticed us, and see if there is anything we want, then wander on to the next store. I don't even think it is about the shopping for us anymore, it is more about the tradition. The tradition of us, spending time together, getting in the Christmas spirit, then going to lunch. By the time we make it home we are both exhausted so a nap follows shortly after reaching the driveway. Most times we end up putting up the Christmas tree later that day.

I'm guessing Black Friday has returned to the big day of sales given the state of our economy and that businesses need to make their sales quotas. I really wish I was there to join in the fun. I miss the days of actual sales and give-aways. To those lucky ladies that will participate in Black Friday this year, ENJOY! Don't get stressed out, have some yummy coffee, and sit back and watch the people around you. You might be amazed at how others are behaving.

No comments: