So at ten months, Lucas has decided he is done with his "ta ta time". I must admit, I'm a little bummed. I really like nursing him. Yes, it may be for selfish reasons, but there are reasons for him as well. Research shows that babies at 12 months only have 60% of their immune system built up, which is why the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) recommends breastfeeding for at least a year. Not to mention the fact that I lost all the baby weight and then some, and I think I have nursing (mostly) to thank. Lucas still hasn't gotten sick yet! I've talked to other mother's who said when they stopped nursing was when there babies would get sick. I really wanted to at least get through the winter before weaning.
Lucas has decided that he doesn't want to have anything to do with it during the day or before bed. We are down to one nursing, right when he wakes up. Aaron always goes and gets Lucas when he wakes up in the morning and then I nurse him laying down in bed. Something about it still has Lucas hooked (thankfully) but the rest of the day he just won't do it. There for a bit he would latch for two seconds then let go. That would go on over and over until I got tired of it, always thinking "Come on, if you would just be patient for a second then the milk would come." But now, he won't even latch on. Yesterday I shoved my boob in his face trying to get him to latch on, and he zerberted me. I had to laugh, but I was also so unbelievably frustrated. I've been trying to pump, but as all breastfeeding women know, it doesn't yield as much as it would if Lucas would take care of it. Plus, it is soooo time consuming to sit there holding a plastic shield to your boob, only to get three ounces. So needless to say, my stash that I worked so hard to create, is gone. Lucas now gets two to three soy formula(he's doesn't do well with cow's milk) bottles a day, plus one breast milk bottle, and his morning nursing. Eerggghhh.
I always said I would nurse until one or both of us got sick of it, but I didn't think it would come this soon. Aaron is trying to be positive and encouraging and saying that maybe this is just another phase that Lucas is going through. He thinks if I am really that bummed about it then I should continue to pump and hopefully Lucas will get over it and go back to nursing. I'm stuck on the fence. I really want to continue nursing, but am I fighting a losing battle? Should I just give up? I'm beginning to learn that I need to pick my battles with Lucas, and should I really fight with him about nursing when there are behavioral issues arising? Isn't that the more important aspect that I should be focusing on?
I really like those extra calories my body is burning for me every day, especially since I can't exercise right now due to my bum knee. I guess I will just follow his lead on this matter. I will pump when I'm so full it hurts, and try to continue with the morning nursing, and see where it takes us. One day at a time right?
No comments:
Post a Comment