Isn't it amazing how before becoming a parent, you have all the answers in the world. You see a kid throwing the fit of the century, and wonder why that parent isn't doing anything about it. You think to yourself how you would handle the situation differently, and how you would not tolerate such behavior of your own children. Now granted, I haven't reached the public meltdown stage yet, but I still feel strongly that I won't just go about my business and let the tantrum continue (that is one of my biggest pet-peeves). I do still have the question of how I should indeed handle the situation gracefully(I won't be like that one lady who is always screaming at her kids, you know the one). But as you become a parent, it is almost as if all that so-called knowledge and child-rearing confidence goes out the window. For instance, right now I am trying to figure out how to get my eight-month old to stop spitting when he is eating. He only does it when he is eating, and he thinks it is SO funny. Yeah, well I don't think sweet potato and apples is the most fashionable attire. But he is only eight-months old, it isn't like I can send him to time-out. I try to ignore him when he does it so that he isn't getting any attention (rather than negative attention), and then praise him when he eats well. But what else can I do? My friend Lauren has been having issues with her son biting people. She has been reading, asking others for advice, and trying different ways of changing his habits, but nobody has the cure-all. Hhhmmm, if only you could squirt him with breast milk and the behavior would stop (My friend Anna has found that breast milk is the cure-all for pretty much everything). But I just find it so amazing that people, women in particular, think they know all there is to know about raising children, until they have one of their very own. I admit, I was the exact same way. It is intimidating not knowing anything about anything anymore. Case in point, the picture below is of Lucas right after he threw his cereal bowl (with plenty of oatmeal still in the bowl) on the floor. Then he is sitting there, almost threatening to throw his spoon too. I admit, I find it amusing, but am afraid I am in for a rough ride.
3 comments:
Uggg, I know exactly how you're feeling. I feel like I don't know anything about parenting at all. But I sure thought I did before Carter! I've had to eat my words more than a few times.
Luckily, the binky seems to be working for the biting. As far as the throwing food: Carter used to do it but we ended meal time when he would start throwing stuff and it seemed to stop the bahvior pretty quickly. It's wroked pretty well for us! But as you now know...what works for one - doesn't work for everyone, ha.
This is sooo true! I have had to go through the public temper fits many times! It is so emberassing. You really don't know how to handle it. Neveah never spit but she did bite! One day when she bit me I bit her back (someone recommended me to try it) and she never did it again! But I still can't stop the fits. It's tough!
Hey! I have no idea about what you should do with his food throwning or anything. But keep taking the pictures... they are too cute!
Post a Comment