Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Generosity of Strangers

Tonight the three of us ventured over to Flying M, the steakhouse here on base, for dinner. We were enjoying the quiet atmosphere because it was only us and one other couple in the entire restaurant. As the other couple was getting up, the husband admired Lucas and was saying Hi to him and such. I'm guessing they were contractors or teachers or something; from the haircut I could tell they weren't active duty. When our bellies were full and we asked for our bill, the waitress said it had been taken care of already. She went on to say that she couldn't say who took care of it, but that someone had already paid for us. We were so surprised. We knew it had been that other couple because as I said, the place was deserted. We hadn't met this couple before, in fact, I don't think I'd ever seen them before (which is pretty rare on this base). Regardless, we were so surprised and pleased at the generosity of those complete strangers. Unfortunately, they were already gone by the time we learned of it, so we couldn't thank them. So if anyone is reading this here at Osan, and knows of people that pay for dinners of complete strangers, let them know that we deeply appreciate it. It made our night!

1 comment:

Greg and Shara said...

Isn't is a wonderful feeling to have been the receivers of such generosity?! This same couple, at least I'm thinking it was the same couple, did this for us months ago. I was so touched. I ran into them about two months ago (I had stored them in my mind, because I wanted to thank them if my path ever crossed with theirs). Well, I thanked them and they repeatedly thanked me for my husband serving in the military. They are very kind people. A server at the Flying M told me that they do that almost every time they eat there, and they always insist on it being a complete surprise!