Sunday, October 19, 2008

I need practice

Last night we ventured downtown to the shopping district right off base. We went to the jewelry store Sin Bosa to drop off some more gemstones to have made into a necklace and four pair of earrings. I'm very excited to get them back!! We also went and bought a couple Mizzou hoodies that Aaron had his eye on. We ran into our friends Erin and Kevin and their family and asked if they wanted to join us for dinner.

At dinner, their son Mitchell who is almost five asked me a question he has asked me a few times before, but I hadn't answered him with a real answer yet. I'm sure he has been asking many people this question and I knew he wouldn't give up until he really understood it. His question was..... "How come my school isn't having a Halloween Party, they are having a different party instead." So how do you explain to a four year old the concept of politically correct and how some people just have to make things more difficult than necessary?

So I start by saying, "Grown-ups make things complicated sometimes", which Erin seemed to think was amusing, but it is true isn't it? So in my head I am forming the explanation of the difference of Christmas vs. Hanukkah and how different people believe in different things, including Holidays. But apparently my foot was stuck too far in my mouth because I said, "Well you know how we believe in Santa Claus and Christmas........" Then I'm thinking, oh crap oh crap oh crap..... I just said believe in Santa Claus, like he isn't real..... oh crap oh crap oh crap. Did Mitchell catch it? I must have had a panicked look on my face because Aaron, Erin, and Kevin all jump in about how there is Santa Claus, and Christmas, and Jesus, and I think just to rub my stupidity in my own face Aaron adds the Easter Bunny in there too. I was trying to get across that some people believe in Christmas while others believe in Hanukkah and it is the same for Halloween, some people believe and some don't. Therefor his school is having a party for everyone to be apart of. Well..... that didn't quite work out. I gave up trying to explain the differences and realized I need much more preparation in explanations before I venture down that road again.

1 comment:

Anna said...

hahahahaha, it gets much worse! My technique is to answer a tricky question with a question, like "Hmmm, that's a good question; what do you think?" Then, you can figure out where they're headed and give them a satisfactory answer, or if you're really lucky, they answer their own question and you can just agree with them.