Friday, March 27, 2009

No Easter Egg Roll for us

Soon after we moved here we started checking out the Smithsonian museums. We were at the American History museum one day and I noticed some Easter Eggs on display in the Presidential area. Upon further investigation, I discovered that every year they have a "White House Easter Egg Roll" on the South Lawn at the White House. How cool! I was totally excited and wanted to take Lucas there this year since this will probably (ok so I use that word loosely) be our only Easter here.

After looking into it, and emailing someone at the National Park Service, I got a link that was updated weekly, until they finally released information of the Easter Egg Roll. So, I checked it often, until they finally released info on it this week. I told my friend Shellie about it and we were both going to try to get tickets. Since the Obama's are kicking it up a notch with making everything online, these tickets were also online.... but online only. Yesterday we both got online as soon as we got up and were checking the site allllllll dayyyyyy long. The site was really poorly set up and kept crashing and kicking you out entirely. They were releasing tickets at various and totally sporadic times during the day. The first time we saw it open was about 9:00am for about 15-30 minutes. The second time was in the two o'clock hour (five hours after the first), for maybe fifteen minutes. We kept clicking refresh refresh refresh all day long, hoping to get our chance. We would think we would get close because they would ask for the lettered security code(like most sites) and then the site would crash on you. SO FRUSTRATING! Then around 7:30pm (another five hours later) they changed the link to say that tickets were sold out. We thought that was a little weird because the site hadn't even opened for five hours, yet somehow they were now sold out.

Long story not so short, we didn't get tickets. I'm pretty bummed because I was really looking forward to it. Oh well I guess. Aaron wouldn't have been able to go with us anyway because it is the Monday after Easter and he will have to work. I did hear on the news today that there are going to be tickets for schools and military families, but they don't know how they will be dispersed yet. So, if anyone out there knows how military families can get tickets, please let me know!

No comments: