Yesterday, my wonderful husband brought home a handy dandy little schedule of Space A flights departing from our area. He brought it home to show me thinking that Lucas and I might want to take a "hop" and see somewhere cool. For those non-military lingo types, a hop is when you catch a flight on a plane headed to other bases on a space available bases (for free!). So, this schedule includes such destinations as Italy, Germany, Turkey, Azores, Greenland, Cuba, New Jersey and Florida. I don't care too much about the last two, but the others I am very interested in. I have been bugging Aaron forever to go to Europe, and this is my perfect opportunity. When hopping, you really can't have a deadline. You never know when you are going to catch a flight, so you have to have time to spare. The problem though, is that Aaron wouldn't be able to go. He unfortunately doesn't have all the time to spare that I do. So, do I take advantage of such a wonderful opportunity to see another part of the world, even though I won't be able to enjoy it with Aaron? Lucas and I would have so much fun I'm sure, but without Aaron it just wouldn't be the same. Aaron suggested going with a friend, but we are still really new here and I don't know that I know anyone well enough to travel with them yet.
If I were to go, the first trip I would try to make would be Italy. There are sooooo many things I want to see there. Plus, depending on how long we wanted to stay, and how cheaply we could make the whole trip, we could head west to France, then check out Switzerland on our way back to Italy. It is very tempting, but very nerve racking at the same time. I haven't really ever gone anywhere without Aaron. Life is more fun when I get to share it with him, plus he makes me feel stronger. Maybe this is my opportunity to prove to myself that I am strong on my own. But do I really want to take a trip like this, with my one year old, by myself? I'm not so sure. There is a flight leaving on the first that I could try to make, and make it home in time for Easter, or there is one later in the month after my parents leave.
Uuuuggghhh, I'm going to do some more research on Italy and see where that takes me. Words of encouragement from my hopping-savy friends might be helpful right about now.
3 comments:
Put it on your 101. :0)
You know... It doesn't have to be a friend. that goes with you.
My wonderful sister makes a valid point. However, in order to "hop" on a military flight, you must have a military ID. But Hollie, if you want to go and can get airfare situated, I'm totally in!
Post a Comment