For the last two months, since we have been back in the states, Lucas hasn't been the best sleeper. He has been in bed with us, waking up and nursing all through the night, tossing and turning so much we couldn't tell which way was up. I missed his old habits. We had him to the point in Korea where we would lay him down, tell him "nigh-nigh" and walk out. He would just lay down and go to sleep, or if he wasn't quite tired enough yet he would play in his crib until he was ready to fall asleep.
Once our furniture arrived, Aaron and I were ready to get Lucas back to sleeping normal. We contemplated keeping the family bed, but then realized it wasn't safe with our bed, and we wanted him to actually sleep through the night again. We are all lagging on our sleep hours and I needed to catch up (who am I kidding, I am still catching up). After a few days of 'sleep training' I was beginning to lose sight of our goal. Things were not improving, Lucas was so upset when we would put him in his crib, I just didn't know what to do. I had tried the sleep lady shuffle, and then moved onto the Ferber method, and nothing was working. After one especially terrible night, Aaron and I talked about bringing him back to our bed. We didn't know what else to try, we were exhausted, felt like terrible parents, and were overall helpless and hopeless. That day as I was racking my brain of what to do, I quietly prayed in the bathroom as I was washing my hands. Thankfully, God must have been listening because ever since then Lucas has been doing so good.
He will now fuss a little bit when you leave his room, but then will lay down and go to sleep. He is still waking up during the night, but typically only once. When I hear him wake up, I go in, find a bink for him, give him his blankie and pooh-bear, lay him down, rub his head, and walk out....... and he drifts back to Neverland.
So I am thankful- thankful for a better nights sleep, for sanity, and better behaviors from everyone involved because we are getting some sleep. God seemed to step in just at the right time because he knew I couldn't take anymore.
No comments:
Post a Comment