Monday, May 11, 2009

Step in the right direction?

For those of you that have been lucky enough (or unlucky depending on how you look at it) to hear us ponder our future and be, what some people would view as, indecisive or fickle, we have another more prominent option on the table. (How is that for a run-on).

Aaron and I had recently decided that given the current state of our economy, that staying in the military would be our best option. The goal was to get commissioned (become an officer), but Aaron has been so busy finishing up school that he didn't think he would have enough time to study and take his GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) before the cut-off date. We decided to buy a little time by re-enlisting and making some extra money from the bonus. Linguists get VERY good bonus' and if he voluntarily deployed to the desert it would be even more. Not only would he get the bonus tax free, but by re-enlisting while deployed he would get a higher multiplier because he would have hit six years in service while he was gone. He could then apply to get commissioned after three years (half of the enlistment time). We had decided that him deploying for 6-8 months (the length of time of the voluntary deployments for Intel) would be well worth the amount of money we would get. We had plans for that money too.... paying off ALL of my student loans, paying off the motorcycle, and then some of Aaron's student loans. We broke the news to Aaron's mom, and she was very supportive. The next night, I broke the news to my mom, hoping she would be supportive as well. She didn't like it, but if it was what we felt was right, then so be it........ or so she said.

The next day (or maybe two days, I can't remember) she called me and gave me some GREAT news. Last winter when we were in Missouri, Aaron had met with some executives from her company (Blue Cross Blue Shield of KC). She told me she had sent out an email asking if anyone thought Aaron had a chance of getting a job there..... she really doesn't want us going back to Korea. Well, it turned out to be great! Aaron got a job offer! He talked to the guy today who is offering the job and they are talking about having him fly out to KC late summer/early fall time frame to get all the technical stuff going.

Long story not so short, at this point, WE ARE MOVING HOME!!!!! The offer is for a contractor position, so he won't be a full-time employee right away. They do it this way for their project manager positions so they can try them out before they actually hire them on. That means we have to buy our own insurance, and if they have layoffs, contractors are the first to go. Both my mom and the guy offering the job don't foresee layoffs because they have reserves set aside, so it is risky, but doesn't sound too bad. Plus, the money is well over what we had expected.

We are both SO excited. We have been searching through house listings everyday since we found out. It will be so great for Lucas, and future children, to be so close to our family. One crazy part, Aaron will be working at the same company as his mother in-law, and his own mom..... does that not make it feel like a small world or what?

1 comment:

Anna said...

Wow! Congratulations, that is great!